Data Protection Privacy Statement For Parents, Guardians & Pupils
Effective from 06th March 2019
Individuals have a number of rights in relation to their personal information – ie. Personal data – and these rights have been enhanced by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). This Data Protection statement describes how we at Forgney National School collect and process personal data, in accordance with the GDPR and the school;s legal obligations generally in relation to the provision of education. Processing is the legal term used to describe vaious acts including – the collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, alteration, use of, retrieval, disclosure or transmission of information.
This statement applies to pupils, parents, and guardians. By enrolling your child in and/or by attending Forgney National School you acknowledge and agree to the collection and processing of personal information by the school.
For your information this Statement outlines:
- Who we are and how to contact us;
- What information we collect, process and retain;
- How information is collected and processed and the purpose and legal basis for so doing;
- Sharing information with third parties;
- Individual legal rights.
Who we are and how to contact us
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon is a data controller responsible for personal data – ie. Information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person. Forgney National School processes personal data, i.e. the school collects, records, stores, retains and uses personal data.
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon will respond to your questions in relation to this data protection statement and our approach to privacy.
If you have any questions about this data protection statement, including any request to exercise your legal rights, please contact us using the details below:
Address: Greenfields Childcare
Lisnamult Community Centre
Phone: 090 6626152
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon may collect the following personal information on pupils and parents/guardians:
(i) Pupil Information
Personal details such as name. address, date of birth, gender, PPS number, nationality, emergency contact information and information in relation to the pupil’s family as may be required.
- Any Special Education Needs (SEN)
- Any Child Protection information
- Reports, learning needs, behavioral needs, permission for access to educational reports, individual education and learning support plans.
- Personal pupil profiles (including whether English is the pupil’s first language or if except from any subjects e.g. Irish or Religion)
- Psychological referral/assessment documentation and permission for access to psychological reports.
- Information for the Primary Online Database (POD).
Information for Special Education Needs Organiser (SENO).
Information for Tusla (the child and family agency) and/or the Health Service Executive (HSE).
- Attendance records and explanatory notes in relation to absences.
- Disciplinary records including notes that may be held by the teacher(s), incident and accident reports, investigations and sanctions if imposed.
- Permission notes in respect of school activities e.g. school tours/trips and outings, extra-curricular activities (including curricular, RSE/Stay Safe programme(s).
Photographs and recorded images of pupil(s) (including at events).
School Transport information
- CCTV footage and other information obtained through electronic mean
(ii) Sensitive Personal Information – Pupils
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon may collect and process the following personal information from parents/guardians such as:
- Contact details of parent/guardian e.g. name, address, email address, telephone number(s).
- Information regarding legal orders in respect of any family law disputes in respect of guardianship, custody or access.
- Occupation and nationality.
- Number of children, position of pupil(s) in family.
- Consent in respect of medical/other emergencies.
- Consent in respect of school activities e.g. tours/trips and outings, extra-curricular activities.
- Consent to publish photographs and work on our website/print media etc.
- Records, correspondence or notes arising from interaction with parents/Guardians.
Purpose & Legal Basis for collecting & processing information
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon collects and processes personal information (as listed above) about pupils and parents/guardians for a variety of purposes and relies on a number of legal grounds to do so.
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon requires this information to perform our duties and responsibilities and to comply with our legal and statutory obligations. In addition Greenfields Childcare Roscommon requires this personal information to pursue the legitimate interests upon which we rely is the effective operation and management of Greenfields Childcare Roscommon and managing the education and welfare needs of our pupils.
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon processes personal data on the basis of the following lawful purpose.
a) Legal Obligation
Forgney National School collects and processes personal information to comply with our legal and statutory obligations, including, but not limited to those under the Education Act 1998 (as amended), the Education (welfare) Act 2000, the Education for Persons with Special Needs (EPSEN) Act 2004, the Health Act 1947, the Children First Act 2015, the Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post-Primary Schools 2017, the Teaching Council Acts 2001-2015 and Safety, Health and Welfare at Work legislation.
b) Legitimate Interests
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon may also process personal information to:
Enable pupils to develop to their full potential and meet the educational, social, physical and emotional requirements of the pupil.
Enable parents and guardians to be contacted in the case of an emergency, school closures and to inform parents and guardians of their child’s educational progress.
Secure and benefits from the support and services of relevant third parties.
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon sometimes process some of personal information with consent e.g. photograph which may be displayed on the website or on social media platforms or in the print media. Please note that consent can be withdrawn at any time by contacting Greenfields Childcare Roscommon
How personal information is collected
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon collect personal information about pupils through the enrolment process and/or through expressions of interest in relation to enrolment. Additional information is collected from third parties, including former schools and through school activities and general interaction(s) during the course of the pupil’s time at Greenfields Childcare Roscommon
(ii) Parents and Guardians
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon collect personal information about parents and guardians through the enrolment process or expressions of interest for enrolment. We collect additional personal information through general interaction during the course of the pupil’s time at Greenfields Childcare Roscommon.
Information & third parties
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon may receive from, share and/or transfer information to a range of third parties such as the following:
- The Department of Education and Skills
- TUSLA / the Child and Family Agency
- The National Council for Special Education
- National Educational Psychological Service (NEPS)
- Department of Social Protection and/or other state benefit providers
- An Garda Siochána
- Insurance Provider
- Third Party Service providers: We share personal information with third party service providers that personal services and functions at our direction and on our behalf such as our accountants, IT service providers including, printers, lawyers and other advisors, and providers of security and administrative services, including data processing/cloud storage service providers e.g. (Aladdin/cloud storage service proved as relevant ).
- Any other third parties
We will only retain personal information for as long as it is necessary to fulfil the purposes the information was collected for, including any legal, accounting or reporting requirements.
Individuals have several rights under GDPR which in certain circumstances are limited and/or constrained. These individual rights include the right – free of charge and subject to any limitations as may apply – to:
- Request a copy of the personal information held about the individual
- Rectify any inaccurate personal information data held about the individual.
- Erase personal information held about the individual
- Restrict the processing of individual personal information
- Object to the use of individual personal information for our legitimate interests.
- Receive individual personal information in a structured commonly used and machine-readable format and to have that data transmitted to another data controller. If you wish to exercise any of these rights please contact the school as outlined.
Greenfields Childcare Roscommon will endeavor to respond to your request within a month. If we are unable to deal with your request within a month we may extend this period by a further two months and we will explain why. You also have the right to lodge a complaint to the office of the Data Protection Commission.
We will update this Data Protection Statement from time to time. Any updates will be made available and where appropriate notified to you.